The Derby Line border crossing is the second busiest port in Vermont, averaging 1,900 vehicles a day. It is also one of the 15 most traveled land ports on the US-Canada border. This port connects the towns of Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec. Another crossing is located on Main Street (US Route 5) and Quebec Route 143. This second port used to be a major crossing before the I-91 was built.
The towns of Derby Line, Vermont and Stanstead, Quebec are essentially just one community that was split in half by the boundary line. Several buildings and streets lie right on the US-Canada border. Individuals are not required to report to customs officials whenever they cross the border while inside these buildings as long as they exit in the same country that they entered from. Crossing the border on the streets that lie on the boundary line are a different matter. Everyone is required to report to the customs officials; failure to do so can mean a large fine, jail time, or even getting banned from crossing the border through a different port.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
|Vehicle Type||Canada -> USA||USA -> Canada|
|Personal vehicles||Lanes open: 1Status: no delay - 0mNexus: N/AReady Lanes: N/A||no delay|
|Commercial vehicles||Lanes open: 1Status: no delay - 0mFAST LaneN/A||no delay|
The Derby Line border crossing is open 24/7 to all vehicles. A NEXUS lane into Canada is open on weekdays from 3 pm to 5 pm. There is no NEXUS lane into the US. Delays can be quite significant during holidays or peak hours such as when locals from Vermont are heading home after watching a hockey game in Stanstead.
Travelers can check current wait times for the Derby Line port by visiting the CBP and CBSA websites.The CanBorder app and the CBP Border Wait Times app (Google Play or iTunes) also enable travelers to monitor wait times while on the road.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic can get heavy during peak hours and on holidays such as Memorial Day, Labour Day, and Columbus Day Weekend. Travelers who want to check traffic and road conditions in Vermont can access the New England 511 website or follow the Twitter account @511VT for updates.
The Quebec 511 program also provides reports on traffic, weather, road conditions, constructions, and incidents along the province’s highways. Travelers can call 511 or 1-888-355-0511, download the program’s mobile app, or follow the Twitter account @Qc511_Mtl to get these updates.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more about crossing the border at the Derby Line port, travelers can contact customs officials at this location using the phone numbers below. To reach this crossing, travelers can use the map and directions provided below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 107 I-91, Derby Line, VT 05830, USA
- US Customs: (802) 873-3489
- Canada: 2 Highway 55, Stanstead, QC J0B 3E2, Canada
- Canadian Customs: 800-461-9999
Things to Know About the Derby Line Border Crossing:
- Travelers should be mindful of crossing the border within the community and along unmanned locations. The US and Canadian border agencies use satellite and sensor surveillance, border patrols, and street cameras that monitor the boundary line.
- The Haskell Free Library and Opera House was built right on the boundary line in 1904 to symbolize the harmonious relationship between the two countries. US and Canadian citizens can cross the border freely within the building without reporting to the customs officials. They do have to make sure that they leave through the same country that they entered from.
- Several streets that cross the border are closed using electronic gates that can be remotely opened to allow emergency personnel to pass.
- There are duty free shops located on both sides of the border. The Duty Free Americas is located at 35 Herrick Road in Derby Line, and open daily from 8 am to 9 pm. The Stanstead Duty Free is located at 1 Autoroute 55, and open 24/7 from May to October and 6 am to midnight from November to April.
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Derby Line Border Crossing
- 0 seconds to go
Caledonian Record - 3 weeks ago
Later that day Wexler and Ruiz brought them into the Haskell Library. Ruiz used a small backpack to...
NHL.com - 3 days ago
"He was a little bit unknown at the beginning of the year but his skill set was so evident...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Stanstead, Quebec'