The Trout River border crossing is a rural port that is located between the communities of Constable, New York and Elgin, Quebec. Flat farmland surrounds this crossing.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The US port of entry is open to passenger and commercial traffic 24/7. The Canadian port of entry is also open 24/7 to passenger vehicles. Commercial vehicles, however, are only allowed entry on weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm, except on holidays. Travelers can get the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes if they wish to monitor current wait times at this port while on the road.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic can range from moderate to heavy during peak hours. Travelers who want to check the road conditions of the highways in New York can get updates from the state’s 511 Traveler Information System. Reports are availed via their telephone service (511 or 888-465-1169), the 511NY app (iTunes, Google Play), and the 511NY website.
The Quebec 511 service also provides the same information on the road network in the province. Real-time updates are accessible via telephone from anywhere in North America (1-888-355-0511), through a mobile app, or by following the Twitter account @Qc511_Mtl.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To get more information about crossing the border at the Trout River port of entry, travelers can use the phone numbers below to contact the customs officials at this location. Travelers who are planning their route to this border crossing can use the map and directions below as a guide.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 17013 State Route 30, Constable, NY 12926
- US Customs: (518) 483-0821
- Canada: 980 Highway 138, Elgin QC J0S 1A0
- Canadian Customs: (514) 264-2070
Things to Know About the Trout River Border Crossing:
- Several buildings near the Trout River border crossing are located directly on the boundary line including a barn, an apartment building, and an old duty free store that has been closed for years.
- The US customs facility at the Trout River border crossing was built in 1932 and one of the most well-preserved stations in New York. It is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The Canadian border station is also a historic building constructed in 1933. It is one of the oldest border stations in Canada that is still in operation. In 1991, it became a Recognized Federal Heritage Building.
- Constable is just 5 miles south of the boundary line and is the last place travelers can get food and gas until they reach Quebec. Plan your trip accordingly.
- The town of Elgin has several historic buildings still present today including stone houses and an old Presbyterian Church that is known as the Kelso Hall. The nearby Powerscourt Covered Bridge is a Historic Monument built in 1861 that is the oldest and only surviving example of a McCallum style-structure in North America.
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Trout River Border Crossing
- 0 seconds to go
Power Line (blog) - 2 days ago
Even the few Democrats I ran into outside our Village Clubhouse were perfectly polite, with a...
Albany Times Union - 4 weeks ago
Franklin County's waste authority Executive Director George Eades said its landfill in...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Constable, New York border'