The Rainbow Bridge border crossing is an international arch bridge that spans across the Niagara River gorge and links the city of Niagara Falls, Ontario to Niagara Falls, New York. This crossing is often the recommended bridge for tourists for several reasons. No commercial vehicles are allowed to use it, it is the most direct route to Casino Niagara, and the bridge offers a breathtaking view of the Falls. As a result, traffic is usually heaviest during summer months and holidays where delays can reach up to an hour or more.
The Rainbow Bridge charges a toll for crossing it. Pedestrians and cyclists are charged $.50 each way. Passenger vehicles, on the other hand, are charged $3.75 U.S. or $4.75 Canadian dollars for a round trip. The pedestrian toll is collected when leaving Canada while the car tolls are collected when leaving the US.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
|Vehicle Type||Canada -> USA||USA -> Canada|
|Personal vehicles||Lanes open: 7Status: delay - 15mNexus: Lanes ClosedReady Lanes: Lanes Closed||no delay|
|Commercial vehicles||Lanes open: Status: N/A - mFAST LaneN/A||no delay|
The Rainbow Bridge border crossing is open to passenger vehicles, pedestrians, and cyclists 24/7. NEXUS lanes are not available at this crossing. Despite the lack of commercial vehicles, this international bridge is still considered one of the busiest land ports between US and Canada. There are 16 inspection lanes for vehicles entering Canada and 15 inspection lanes for vehicles heading to the US. Tour bus lanes are designated. Pedestrians can cross the bridge using the Pedestrian Walk Way.
Travelers who want to get current updates on border wait times can visit the CBP and CBSA websites. To monitor changes in wait times while on the road, travelers can download the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes or the CanBorder app.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Like most border crossings between US and Canada, summer months and holidays are usually when traffic volume is at its peak at the Rainbow Bridge border crossing. Travelers who wish to get current traffic conditions on Rainbow Bridge can view images from the bridge’s cameras here or call the NFBC’s traffic update line at 1-800-715-6722. Traffic updates are also posted on Twitter (@NiagaraBridges).
New York’s 511 Traveler Information System also provides information on road incidents, roadway conditions, weather, and travel speed along its highways. Travelers can get updates by calling 511 or 888-465-1169 (calls from outside the NY state), getting the 511NY app (iTunes, Google Play), or visiting the 511NY website.
Ontario’s Traveller Information Services program gives similar updates to its travelers through its telephone service (511 or 1-866-929-4257 for calls outside the province), Twitter account @511Ontario, and the MTO Ontario 511 website.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
Travelers who want to learn more about crossing the border at Rainbow Bridge can call the numbers listed below to get in touch with the customs officials at this location. Those who plan on taking this route to enter the US or Canada can use the map and directions below as a guide.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 302 Rainbow Blvd, Niagara Falls, NY 14303, USA
- US Customs: (716) 284-5174
- Canada: 5660 Falls Avenue, Niagara Falls ON L2E 6T1
- Canadian Customs: 800-461-9999 / 204-983-3500 (calls outside Canada)
Things to Know About the Rainbow Bridge Border Crossing:
- To get in touch with the Niagara Falls Bridge Commission, travelers can call 716-285-6322 (from the US) and 905-354-5641 (from Canada).
- There are duty free shops located on both sides of the border. The Niagara Duty Free is located on the Canadian side at 5726 Falls Avenue, Niagara Falls, Ontario. The store is open daily from 8 am to 10 pm. The Duty Free Americas is located at Rainbow Bridge Plaza, and open daily from 8 am to 11 pm.
- The Rainbow Plaza on the Canadian side features the Rainbow Tower, a 165 ft tower that was built in 1947. The tower has a carillon with 55 bells that are sounded four times a day, every day.
- If you are a party-lover and night life seeker – visit Masquerade Ball by Tinamarie Sweet to enjoy a night of glamorous costumes. Find out more Masquerade Ball Parties by City
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Rainbow Bridge Border Crossing
- 0 seconds to go
Buffalo News - 3 weeks ago
Garrett A. Ealy, who had 11 pounds of marijuana stashed in the door of his vehicle as he crossed...
CP24 Toronto's Breaking News - 3 months ago
MIAMI - U.S. Border patrol agents have detained a Florida teenager trying to enter Canada whom...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Rainbow bridge border crossing'