North Dakota shares a 310-mile border with the provinces of Saskatchewan and Manitoba, Canada. There are 18 border crossings found along this line, only three of which operate 24/7. The busiest port of entry in North Dakota is the Pembina – Emerson border crossing. It also ranks as one of the top 5 busiest ports along the US-Canada border with over a million passenger and commercial vehicles passing through in both directions. Most ports of entry in this state have limited hours of operation and experience low volume traffic.
Travel tips for crossing the North Dakota border into Canada:
- Canadians who makes purchases in North Dakota will not be exempt from the state’s sales tax. For certain qualifying purchases, Canadian residents may request a refund of the sales tax. These purchases include goods that will be exported from North Dakota and used out of the state. The purchases should be at least $25 per receipt, and the tax refund should be at least $15. To get the refund, the Canadian resident must fill out the Canadian Residents Request for Sales Tax Refund Form and submit it along with the original receipts to the Tax Commissioner.
- For traffic and road conditions in Saskatchewan, travelers can visit here.
- For Manitoba highway conditions, you can check the information here.
- For traffic and road conditions in North Dakota, please check here.
- Before non-residents can apply for a hunting or fishing license in North Dakota, they are required to obtain a Fishing, Hunting, Furbearer Certificate and a General Game and Habitat License (for hunting only). Also, certain licenses are issued by lottery and require special application procedures such as deer gun, bighorn sheep, and tundra swan licenses.
If you want to learn more about the border crossings in North Dakota, please click on the links below. Each page details information regarding the traffic conditions, border wait times, contact information, and other important facts about a particular border crossing.
- Ambrose – Torquay Border Crossing
- Antler – Lyleton Border Crossing
- Carbury – Goodlands Border Crossing
- Fortuna – Oungre Border Crossing
- Hannah – Snowflake Border Crossing
- Hansboro – Cartwright Border Crossing
- Maida – Windygates Border Crossing
- Neche – Gretna Border Crossing
- Noonan – Estevan Border Crossing
- Northgate Border Crossing
- Peace Garden Border Crossing
- Pembina – Emerson Border Crossing
- Portal – North Portal Border Crossing
- Sarles – Crystal Border Crossing
- Sherwood – Carievale Border Crossing
- St. John – Lena Border Crossing
- Walhalla – Winkler Border Crossing
- Westhope – Coulter Border Crossing