The Wild Horse border crossing is a very quiet port of entry that connects the communities of Havre, Montana and Medicine Hat, Alberta. This remote crossing observes seasonal hours of operation due to the low volume of traffic that passes through during winter months. Based on data gathered by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, less than 50 vehicles passed through this port per day in 2015.
Despite the low number of vehicles passing through this port, a local group called the Wild Horse Border Committee has been advocating for the Wild Horse border crossing to be opened 24/7 since 2004. The proposal has yet to be accepted by either agency.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The US port of entry is open to all vehicles seven days a week. However, its operational hours are seasonal. From May 15 to September 30, the port is open from 8 am to 9 pm (MDT). From October 1 to May 14, the port is open from 8 am to 5 pm (MDT).
The Canadian port of entry also has seasonal office hours for passenger vehicles. From May 15 to September 30, passenger vehicles can use this port daily from 8 am to 9 pm. From October 1 to May 14, the port is open to passenger vehicles daily from 8 am to 5 pm. Commercial vehicles, however, can only use this border crossing on weekdays from 8 am to 5 pm, except on holidays.
Delays at the Wild Horse border crossing are rare due to the low volume of vehicles passing through. Travelers can get the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes if they wish to monitor current wait times at this port while on the road.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
The state of Montana provides updates on weather-related traffic and road conditions to the public in two ways. Travelers can view the state’s online travel info map or call the travel information service hotline (dial 511 or 800-226-7623 if you’re calling from outside the state). The Canadian province of Alberta also gives road and weather conditions reports through its own hotline (dial 511 or 1-855-391-9743 if outside Alberta). Travelers can also follow the Twitter account @511Alberta or view the Road Conditions Map online to access the same information.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
Travelers can get more information about crossing the border at the Wild Horse port of entry by getting in touch with the customs officials at this location using the numbers provided below. The map and directions below serve as a guide for travelers who plan to go to this crossing on their trip.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 29832 Wild Horse Road, Hwy 232, Havre, MT 59501
- US Customs: (406) 394-2371
- Canada: Highway #41 South, Wild Horse, Alberta T0K 1L0
- Canadian Customs: (406) 394-2361
Things to Know About the Wild Horse Border Crossing:
- The Wild Horse US port of entry is a permit port. Commercial merchandise to be imported into the US through this crossing must have advance approval from the CBP Area Port of Great Falls prior to the cargo’s arrival at this location.
- Citrus, tomatoes, peppers and home-grown potatoes from Canada are not allowed entry into the US.
- All firewood except those that come with a heat treatment certificate is prohibited from being brought into the US.
- Havre, Montana is the eighth largest city in the state and a popular stop for tourists since the US Highway 2 passes right through the city’s downtown area. The city is just three hours away from Glacier National Park.
- Medicine Hat, Alberta is also a popular tourist spot with several unique attractions such as the Butterfly House and the Medalta, a state-of-the-art contemporary ceramic artists’ studio facility and industrial museum located in the Historic Clay District.
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Wild Horse Border Crossing
- 0 seconds to go
Telegraph.co.uk - 1 week ago
He doesn't have email or a mobile phone so I decide to write him a letter. I still have the...
CHAT News Today - 5 months ago
MEDICINE HAT, AB. - Summer hours at the Wild Horse Canadian Border Services Crossing will end...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Wild horse Border Crossing'