The Beebe Plain – Stanstead border crossing is a port of entry that lies in the middle of a border town, Beebe Plain. It is one of several border towns that are divided by the boundary line. This crossing is best known for dividing the town right in the middle of Canusa Street (Rue Canusa). The south side of the street lies on American soil while the north side lies on Canadian soil. Neighbors are prohibited from crossing the street without reporting to the customs officials at the end of the street. Forgetting to do so could mean a $5000 fine or jail time in the US or $1000 fine in Canada.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The Beebe Plain – Stanstead border crossing is open to passenger vehicles 24/7. Commercial vehicles are not allowed at this port. Delays rarely occur at this crossing. Travelers who want to get current wait times at this crossing can get the CanBorder app or the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic is light at this port as most of the crossings are locals of this very small town. To get updates on traffic and road conditions in Vermont, travelers can visit the New England 511 website or follow the Twitter account @511VT.
The Quebec 511 program also provides road conditions reports to travelers via their telephone service (511 or 1-888-355-0511). Downloading the mobile app and following the Twitter account @Qc511_Mtl will also enable travelers to access the traffic reports.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more about the Beebe Plain – Stanstead border crossing, travelers can call the customs officials at this location using the numbers listed below. To drive to this port, travelers can use the map and directions provided below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: Beebe Road, Beebe Plain, Vermont 05823
- US Customs: (802) 873-3055
- Canada: 2 Principale Street, Stanstead, Quebec J0B 3E5
- Canadian Customs: (819) 876-2119
On your way to crossing the border hotels are available, compare best hotels prices available on the US side and Canadian side. Bed and breakfast can be found here and here. If you are looking to find cheap cars for rent check this website for comparision of car rent prices. Check best car rental deals from Hertz, Avis, National Car Hire and Alamo.
Are you heading for camping, check for this fantastic campgrounds, or search for the best RV parking places. Need an RV hired, check this website. Boats and canoes are available for rent if you are crossing the border for some fun and hiking check these accommodation options. Are you going for golf – see the top golf courses and tee times here. Hiking options.
Did you car break down middle of the road, call for car help get emergency services. Do you need travel insurance – visit our partners here. You pets can be insured as well here. Visiting Canada for medical reasons, check this website.
Documentation needs to be all ready, for find the necessary legal forms here.
Things to Know About the Beebe Plain – Stanstead Border Crossing:
- The village of Beebe Plain is extremely safe due to the presence of satellite and sensor surveillance, border patrols, and street cameras that monitor the crossing. However, it also means that neighbors remain divided despite living on the same street. Visiting someone who lives across the street requires a passport which can be a real detriment to real friendship.
- The Canadian border station was built in 1955 and recognized as a Federal Heritage Building. The US border station, on the other hand, was built in 1937 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is also one of four remaining buildings of its type located on the US border.
- The nearest hospital is in Newport, Vermont where most of the locals have been born. Because of this, many of the locals have dual citizenship.
- The Haskell Free Library & Opera House straddles the border and is the only place in the village where the locals can cross the border without having to report to the customs officials.
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Alburg Springs – Clarenceville Border Crossing
Montreal Gazette - 12 months ago
STANSTEAD — For some folks living in a cluster of small towns straddling the U.S.-Canadian border...
CTV News - 3 months ago
OTTAWA -- The United Nations refugee agency is keeping a careful eye on the situation at the...
Atlas Obscura - 11 months ago
Rumor has it that the 18th-century surveyors who drew the official line between the U.S. state of...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Stanstead Border Crossing'