The Thousand Islands Bridge border crossing links the town of Alexandria Bay to Lansdowne, Ontario via the Thousand Islands Bridge. The “bridge” is actually a series of five bridges that spans the Saint Lawrence River. These bridges connect Ontario and the US to two islands located in the Thousand Islands region – Hill Island (Canada) and Wellesley Island (US).
Travelers crossing the Thousand Islands Bridge are charged a toll that can only be paid in cash or with a Commuter Discount Fare Card (for multiple trips). The current toll rates can be found here.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
|Vehicle Type||Canada -> USA||USA -> Canada|
|Personal vehicles||Lanes open: 1Status: no delay - 0mNexus: Lanes ClosedReady Lanes: N/A||no delay|
|Commercial vehicles||Lanes open: 1Status: no delay - 0mFAST LaneN/A||no delay|
The Thousand Islands border crossing is open 24/7 to passenger and commercial vehicles. Pedestrian walkways are only open during daylight hours. NEXUS lanes entering the US are open on weekdays from 7 am to 5 pm and on weekends from 10 am to 2 pm. The NEXUS lane into Canada are open on weekdays from 6 am to 8 am and 4 pm to 6 pm, except on holidays. Due to lane reductions caused by construction of the CBSA’s new facility, the designated NEXUS lane will be unavailable until further notice.
Wait times can reach up to 2 hours at this crossing during the summer months and weekend holidays. Travelers who want to get current updates on border wait times can visit the CBP and CBSA websites. The CBP Border Wait Times app (Google Play or iTunes) and the CanBorder app can also provide current wait times to those on the road.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
The Thousand Islands Bridge is the 4th busiest border crossing in the state of New York. Long lineups are a common occurrence during peak hours as well as during summer months and holidays. A lot of commercial trucks also pass through this bridge which largely contributes to the amount of traffic on the bridge. The bridge also has only two lanes of traffic (one for each direction) which can significantly contribute to the backups at this location.
Travelers can check with New York’s 511 Traveler Information System for updates on roadway conditions and incidents, weather, and travel speed. The information is available via a telephone service (511 or 888-465-1169) as well as through the 511NY app (iTunes, Google Play) and the 511NY website.
Ontario’s Traveller Information Services program also provides road conditions reports to the public through its telephone service ( 511 or 1-866-929-4257 for calls outside the province), the Twitter account @511Ontario, and the MTO Ontario 511 website.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more about crossing the border at the Thousand Islands Bridge, travelers can get in touch with the customs officials at this location using the phone numbers listed below. To drive to this bridge, travelers can use the map and directions as a guide.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 46735 Interstate Route 81, Alexandria Bay, NY 13607
- US Customs: (315) 482-2065
- Canada: 860 Highway 137, Lansdowne ON K0E 1L0
- Canadian Customs: (613) 659-2444
On your way to crossing the border hotels are available, compare best hotels prices available on the US side and Canadian side. Bed and breakfast can be found here and here. If you are looking to find cheap cars for rent check this website for comparision of car rent prices. Check best car rental deals from Hertz, Avis, National Car Hire and Alamo.
Are you heading for camping, check for this fantastic campgrounds, or search for the best RV parking places. Need an RV hired, check this website. Boats and canoes are available for rent if you are crossing the border for some fun and hiking check these accommodation options. Are you going for golf – see the top golf courses and tee times here. Hiking options.
Did you car break down middle of the road, call for car help get emergency services. Do you need travel insurance – visit our partners here. You pets can be insured as well here. Visiting Canada for medical reasons, check this website.
Documentation needs to be all ready, for find the necessary legal forms here.
Things to Know About the Thousand Islands Bridge Border Crossing:
- Travelers can get in touch with the Thousand Islands Bridge Authority at their office. The address is 43530 Interstate 81, Collins Landing, Alexandria Bay, New York 13607. The phone number is 315-482-2501.
- The pedestrian sidewalk is located on the west side of the bridge (adjacent to southbound lanes) and approximately one mile in length.
- The CBSA station at this location is sometimes referred to “Gananoque” after a nearby town that provides an international ferry service. The CBP station, on the other hand, is also called “Thousand Islands.”
- There are duty free stores located on both sides of the border. The 1000 Islands Duty Free store is located along Highway 137 on Hill Island. Check with the store to get its operational hours. The Duty Free Americas store is located on Wellesley Island along Route 81 and is open 24/7.
- Visitors to Alexandria Bay can get information on travel services, accommodations, attractions, and activities in the area here. Those who wish to learn more about what’s in store for them in the 1000 Islands can check their website here.
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Thousand Islands Bridge Border Crossing
WatertownDailyTimes.com - 4 weeks ago
The companies' histories include work on the Thousand Islands Bridge, along with border...
WWNY TV 7 - 2 weeks ago
If you're heading across the border at the Thousand Islands International Bridge, you could see...
Brockville Recorder and Times - 3 weeks ago
The following day, at about 1:55 a.m., the Canada Border Services Agency at the Thousand Islands...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Thousand Islands Bridge Border Crossing'