The Portal-North Portal border crossing is the only port of entry along the North Dakota-Saskatchewan border that operates 24 hours a day. It is the busiest land port in Saskatchewan, the second busiest in North Dakota. This border crossing connects the town of Portal, North Dakota to the village of North Portal, Saskatchewan.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
Passenger and commercial vehicles can travel through the Portal-North Portal border crossing 24/7. While it is a large and busy port of entry, travelers rarely experience long delays. Average wait times on regular days are less than 10 minutes. Lineups tend to start building in the afternoon and well into the evening, but this is usual for any large border crossing such as this one.
To know the current or forecasted wait times at the Canadian port for your trip, visit the CBSA’s website or download the CanBorder app for your Apple, Android, or Blackberry device. To get information regarding border wait times at the US port, download the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
If you want to get updates on traffic and road conditions along US Route 52, you can visit North Dakota’s Travel Information Map or call their travel hotline, 511. You can check the weather forecast in Portal, North Dakota here.
Saskatchewan also has a Highway Hotline map where you can check traffic, weather, and road conditions of Highway 39. You can also call 1-888-335-7623 to receive the same information (recorded messages). To find out the weather forecast in North Portal, Saskatchewan, visit here.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To get in touch with the US or Canadian Customs Officials at the Portal – North Portal border crossing, you can call or visit their office using the information we’ve provided below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 301 W Railway Ave, Portal, ND 58772
- US Customs: 1 (701) 926-7500
- Canada:Saskatchewan Highway 39, North Portal, Saskatchewan S0C 1W0
- Canadian Customs: 1 (306) 927-2505
On your way to crossing the border hotels are available, compare best hotels prices available on the US side and Canadian side. Bed and breakfast can be found here and here. If you are looking to find cheap cars for rent check this website for comparision of car rent prices. Check best car rental deals from Hertz, Avis, National Car Hire and Alamo.
Are you heading for camping, check for this fantastic campgrounds, or search for the best RV parking places. Need an RV hired, check this website. Boats and canoes are available for rent if you are crossing the border for some fun and hiking check these accommodation options. Are you going for golf – see the top golf courses and tee times here. Hiking options.
Did you car break down middle of the road, call for car help get emergency services. Do you need travel insurance – visit our partners here. You pets can be insured as well here. Visiting Canada for medical reasons, check this website.
Documentation needs to be all ready, for find the necessary legal forms here.
Things to Know About the Portal -North Portal Border Crossing:
- There are two duty-free shops at this border crossing – Portal Duty Free Americas and North Portal Duty Free (the only land border duty-free shop in Saskatchewan).
- The nearest hospital to Portal, ND is St. Luke’s Hospital in Crosby, ND which is 42 miles away.
- If you play golf, you might be interested in playing at the only course that is located in two countries – the Gateway Cities Golf Club. Part of the course and the clubhouse is in Portal, ND while the other part is in North Portal, Saskatchewan.
- Estevan, the sunniest city in Canada, is approximately 24 miles from the North Portal SK border crossing. Here, travelers will be able to find accommodations and attractions for the entire group.
Links of Interest
- Helpful tips to facilitate your entry – Portal, ND
- Check Highway Road Conditions – Saskatchewan
- Canada Border Services Agency – North Portal
- Saskatchewan Highway 39 – Wikipedia page
- Portal – North Portal Border ND information, Wikipedia page
- North Portal Duty Free Shop Information
- Canada Border Services Agency – Border Wait Times
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection – Portal
- Canada Border Services Agency – North Portal
Recent News & Updates about Portal – North Portal Border Crossing
Weyburn Review - 4 hours ago
... member from the North Dakota House of Representatives, Dan Ruby, was accompanied by members of...
Estevan Mercury - 16 hours ago
A decision hasn't been made on whether passing lanes will be constructed closer to the...
Estevan Mercury - 4 weeks ago
Officers of the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) seized a firearm earlier this month at the...
News via Google. See more news matching ' Portal North Portal Border Crossing '