The Pembina – Emerson border crossing is the busiest port of entry in North Dakota and the fifth busiest along the US-Canada border. Over 1 million automobiles and trucks pass through this port in both directions. 60% of the traffic is made up of passenger vehicles, 40% is made up of commercial vehicles.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
|Vehicle Type||Canada -> USA||USA -> Canada|
|Personal vehicles||Lanes open: 1Status: no delay - 0mNexus: Lanes ClosedReady Lanes: N/A||no delay|
|Commercial vehicles||Lanes open: 1Status: no delay - 0mFAST LaneN/A||no delay|
Passenger and commercial vehicles can use the Pembina – Emerson border crossing 24/7. The NEXUS lanes, however, have a different schedule. Going into the US, NEXUS lanes are open daily from 6:30 am to 8 am, except for holidays. Going into Canada, they are open only during weekdays from 3 pm to 5 pm, except for holidays.
Wait times are typically less than 15 minutes on a regular day. Line-ups usually start to build in the afternoon, carrying on throughout the evening. You can check here for current and forecasted wait times going into Canada. You can also follow @CBSA_EMR to get updates on border delays on the go. If you’re going to the US, visit here to get the current wait times at the US port.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Expect delays of 15 minutes or less most of the time. Traffic can get heavy during peak hours, starting in the late afternoon. If you want to get updates regarding traffic, weather, and road conditions along I-29, you have several options. You can check the travel information map or call 511. You can also download the North Dakota Travel app from the Apple Store or Google Play.
The province of Manitoba also offers several ways for you to stay on top of traffic on its roads. Their Interactive Highway Map gives you traffic updates as well as road conditions. Travelers can also dial 511 to get travel information. Follow their Twitter account @MBGovRoads to get updates on the go.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To learn more information about the Pembina – Emerson border crossing, you can call the US or Canadian Border Office using the phone numbers listed below. To reach this port of entry, check the map and follow the directions we’ve provided.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 10980 Hwy 29, Pembina, ND 58271
- US Customs: 1 (701) 825-5800
- Canada: Highway 75, Emerson MB R0A 0L0
- Canadian Customs: 1 (204) 373-2524
On your way to crossing the border hotels are available, compare best hotels prices available on the US side and Canadian side. Bed and breakfast can be found here and here. If you are looking to find cheap cars for rent check this website for comparision of car rent prices. Check best car rental deals from Hertz, Avis, National Car Hire and Alamo.
Are you heading for camping, check for this fantastic campgrounds, or search for the best RV parking places. Need an RV hired, check this website. Boats and canoes are available for rent if you are crossing the border for some fun and hiking check these accommodation options. Are you going for golf – see the top golf courses and tee times here. Hiking options.
Did you car break down middle of the road, call for car help get emergency services. Do you need travel insurance – visit our partners here. You pets can be insured as well here. Visiting Canada for medical reasons, check this website.
Documentation needs to be all ready, for find the necessary legal forms here.
Things to Know About the Pembina – Emerson Border Crossing:
- Make sure that your border crossing goes as smoothly as possible by preparing your documents beforehand. You may want to consider applying for a NEXUS card if you frequently cross the border. For Canadians, apply for your NEXUS card here. Americans can apply here.
- There are duty-free shops on both sides of the border – Emerson Duty Free and Pembina Duty Free Americas.
- Pembina, North Dakota is a small city with a population of less than 600, but it has several attractions to offer visitors including a tiny Pembina State Museum that houses a lot of history as well as an observation tower.
- Canadians might be happy to know that there’s a parcel service just 3 miles from the border – Mike’s Parcel Pickup.
- Explore a bit of nature and history in Emerson by hiking or biking the West River Trail.
Links of Interest
- Pembina-Emerson Port of Entry Transportation Study
- Canada Border Services Agency -Emerson
- Pembina–Emerson border information, Wikipedia page
- U.S. Customs and Border Protection- Pembina
- Canada Border Services Agency – Border Wait Times
- Canada Border Services Agency – Forecasted Border Wait Times
- Emerson Duty Free
- Tips To Beat Port Entery Lines During Long Weekend
Recent News & Updates about Pembina – Emerson Border Crossing
PembinaValleyOnline.com - 4 weeks ago
PembinaValleyOnline.com is only source for community news and information such as weather and...
Macleans.ca - 4 weeks ago
Heading toward Canada from Pembina, North Dakota, where refugees get dropped off by cab drivers...
Winnipeg Free Press - 1 week ago
Lizbeth, 54, says she's been living in limbo in Grand Forks, N.D., after she was turned away at...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Pembina Emerson Border Crossing'