The Limestone – Gillespie Portage border crossing is a small, rural port of entry that connects the towns of Limestone, Maine and Grand-Sault, New Brunswick. The Canadian border station here was first built around 1930 and replaced in 1984. The US border station, on the other hand, was built around 1933 and is still being used to this day. In 2014, it joined the list of National Register of Historic Places.
Before the stations were built at the actual border crossing, customs and immigration inspections were always done in the nearest town to the border. In this case, Limestone, Maine. However, during the period of Prohibition, there became a need for inspections to be conducted closer to the actual border. Hence, the US border facility was built.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The US port of entry is open to all vehicles 24/7. The Canadian port of entry is open to passenger vehicles 24/7. Their commercial services, however, are only available on weekdays from 8 am to 4 pm except on holidays.
A little over 60 vehicles, mostly autos, pass through the Limestone – Gillespie Portage border crossing every day. There typically isn’t any delay when using this port of entry. If you want to get updated reports on wait times at border crossings along the US-Canada border, just download the CanBorder app and the CBP Border Wait Times app on Google Play or iTunes.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Traffic is typically light at the Limestone ME border crossing with mostly vacationers and locals passing through. Travelers can get updated information on traffic and road conditions in the surrounding area in Maine by calling 511 or 866-282-7578. You can also check the Twitter feed of @MaineDOT. New Brunswick also has a similar travel service; by dialing 511 or 800-561-4063, travelers can get up-to-date traffic and road conditions reports.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
If you have any questions about this border crossing, you can get in touch with the customs officials at the US or Canadian facilities using the phone numbers listed below. To use this port of entry, just follow the map and directions provided below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 410 Grand Falls Road, Limestone, ME 04750
- US Customs: (207) 325-4769
- Canada: 600 Route 375, California Settlement, DSL de Grand-Sault NB E3Z 1Z6
- Canadian Customs: (506) 473-3536
On your way to crossing the border hotels are available, compare best hotels prices available on the US side and Canadian side. Bed and breakfast can be found here and here. If you are looking to find cheap cars for rent check this website for comparision of car rent prices. Check best car rental deals from Hertz, Avis, National Car Hire and Alamo.
Are you heading for camping, check for this fantastic campgrounds, or search for the best RV parking places. Need an RV hired, check this website. Boats and canoes are available for rent if you are crossing the border for some fun and hiking check these accommodation options. Are you going for golf – see the top golf courses and tee times here. Hiking options.
Did you car break down middle of the road, call for car help get emergency services. Do you need travel insurance – visit our partners here. You pets can be insured as well here. Visiting Canada for medical reasons, check this website.
Documentation needs to be all ready, for find the necessary legal forms here.
Things to Know About Limestone – Gillespie Portage Border Crossing:
- A hundred yards south of the Limestone ME border crossing is an old Nike Missile launch site that has been turned into a house and a car repair business. It was one of four Nike Missile stations that were responsible for protecting the Loring Air Force Base which was located in Limestone. There were heavy bombers based out of this facility, ready at any moment to take flight and bomb Russia. A top secret facility called the North River Depot was part of the Loring base with the purpose of storing, assembling, and testing atomic weapons. In 1994, the base was closed down though there are still reserve and military operations at the site.
- Visitors to Limestone, Maine can stay at the Trafton Lake and Campground for a bit of R&R.
- Go kayaking, deepelling, ziplining, and other gorge adventures on your visit to Grand Falls, New Brunswick with the help of Open Sky Adventures.
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Limestone – Gillespie Portage Border Crossing
WCSH-TV - 2 hours ago
LIMESTONE, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A Limestone man is charged with sexually assaulting a 12-year-old...
Bangor Daily News - 3 days ago
CARIBOU, Maine — A Georgia woman and former employee of the Defense Finance and Accounting...
WCSH-TV - 4 weeks ago
LIMESTONE, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A magnet school in northern Maine has been named in the Top 20...
News via Google. See more news matching 'Limestone Maine'