The Fort Kent – Clair border crossing is an international bridge that links the town of Clair, New Brunswick and Fort Kent, Maine. The crossing was first opened in 1905, but the bridge was only built in 1930. Before that, travelers crossed the border using a cable ferry and a footbridge.
In 2014, the old bridge was replaced to accommodate the 1,900 vehicles that pass through each day. The bridge is the northern terminus of US Route 1, a two-lane highway that goes all the way south to Florida.
Hours of Operations & Wait Times
The US port of entry is open on weekdays from 9 am to 5 pm except for holidays. The Canadian border station, on the other hand, is open 24/7 to passenger vehicles and on weekdays from 8 am until 4 pm to commercial vehicles except on holidays.
Weather, Traffic & Road Conditions
Around 2,000 vehicles pass through the Fort Kent International Bridge daily. Expect traffic to get a bit heavy during peak hours. If you want to get updates on traffic and weather conditions in Fort Kent and the surrounding area, you can get in touch with the travel information service hotline by calling 511 or 866-282-7578. You can also follow @MaineDOT to get weather-related traffic and road construction reports. New Brunswick also participates in the North American initiative of providing travel information through 511 hotline.
Contact & Directions for Your Trip
To find out more about the Fort Kent – Clair border crossing, travelers can reach out to the border officials at this location by calling the numbers listed below. To use this port of entry, you can follow the directions and the map posted below.
Find Directions to the Border Crossing on the Map
Address & Phone Numbers
- U.S.: 401 West Main Street, Fort Kent, Maine 04743
- US Customs: (207) 834-5255
- Canada: 790 Principale Street, Clair NB E7A 2H6
- Canadian Customs: (506) 992-2124
Things to Know About Fort Kent – Clair Border Crossing:
- The town of Fort Kent is filled with attractions for Canadian visitors including the Fort Kent Blockhouse displays artifacts from the Aroostook War.
- Fort Kent also hosts several notable events throughout the year including the International Muskie Fishing Derby, the Ploye Festival, and the Can Am Crown International Sled Dog Race.
- Visit historic buildings in Clair including one of the oldest houses in the region, the Daigle/St-Jean house (1848); a logging camp; a chapel; and a barn.
Links of Interest
Recent News & Updates about Fort Kent – Clair Border Crossing
- 0 seconds to go CBS News - 3 days ago fiddleheadfocus.com - 1 month ago News via Google. See more news matching 'Fort Kent Border Crossing'
It knocked out power to thousands, caused numerous accidents along slick roadways and also prompted...
That means such commercial traffic will have to seek an alternate route, likely a lengthy detour,...
- 0 seconds to go
CBS News - 3 days ago
fiddleheadfocus.com - 1 month ago
News via Google. See more news matching 'Fort Kent Border Crossing'